1.07.2010

The BIG move

I have worked for the court for almost three years now. There were seven clerks housed in a small corner in the building, cubicle to cubicle. You could hear every word anyone ever whispered. The cramped quarters made a perfect "home" away from home and we were all great friends. This is a picture of my old space:

There were two things that we LOVED (eye roll) about the old building:
1: All of the archive boxes were down in the old jail cells. This meant as you were bending over to file a document, or you were picking up a box or putting down a box, you were inches from the inmate toilets.
2: Scorpions. Everywhere. Walking down the hall, look on the wall. Scorpion. Running across desks. Scorpion. On witness chairs while on the record in Court. Scorpion. Inside files. Scorpion. No matter how many times they sprayed they never went away. We decided if we couldn't get rid of them at least we could make them our mascot.

We were all anxious for the new building to be completed. We watched in anticipation as they quickly put up the structure. In a short fourteen months the behemoth new courthouse was done. The new courthouse is beautifully decorated and full of all the latest technology.

Because I landed an awesome job promotion in November I was "upgraded" from a cubicle to my own office. This is a picture of my new space:

Now don't get me wrong we still have some problems.
1: There is no door handle for the clerks to get into the juveniel courtroom. So if the door to the courtroom is shut we have to go through the Judge's entrance and climb over his bench to get the clerks door open.
2: The elevator overheats constantly
3: My beautiful office lacks a door, they say it's coming sometime in the future. We will see about that.

So far the new courthouse has been a huge adjustment. My clerks are spread out on the first and second floor so we have had to change some of the ways that we handle our day to day tasks. It's still a work in progress and the problems are being resolved. It will be interesting to watch how we progress as a team and how all this new space will effect our tight knit group.

I have appreciated my old boss Michelle and all of her knowledge. When I received my promotion in November I knew I was getting the best teacher to learn from. Even though she has relocated to her dream job she is always willing to answer my phone calls. I tease her when it's been longer than a few hours without a phone call from me. Michelle has been ever so patient and I am excited to, one day, be just as smart as she is.

2 comments:

Christina MC said...

Nice new digs and yeah for a window!

Tiffany said...

Well, well...look at you. How nice to have a little privace, eh? Maybe a little lonely though?